Take A Hike! Eight Tips For A Great Hiking Adventure
Hiking - what a great way to get out and experience the outdoors. It's pretty amazing where your two feet can take you. Whether you're new to hiking or a seasoned pro, it's always nice to have a little refresher on best practices, so we put together this handy guide to help!
1) Do Your Homework - it is important to research the hike beforehand to understand the terrain, difficulty, business of the trail etc. Being prepared goes a long way!
2) Know Your Limits - we know, it may not be fun to face reality, but knowing and accepting your limits helps prevent serious injury. The number one reason for Search and Rescue is due to hikers taking on more than they could proverbially chew due to fatigue and physical conditions. Work your way up to those bigger challenges!
3 )Stay Hydrated! You'll lose more water than you realize as you exert yourself, especially in the hot summer months!
4) Seriously, Stay Hydrated.
5) For The Love Of All That Is Good, Have Plenty Of Water With you! Dehydration and lack of preparedness has been on the rise! Take plenty of water with you.
6) Have Salty Snacks Handy - salty snacks help replenish electrolytes and will boost your energy for that final push!
7) Wear Proper Attire and Footwear. As they say, there is no bag weather, just bad clothing. Sturdy shoes with ankle support and good grip are recommended vs some flimsy flipflops
8) Tell Someone Your Plans - did you watch the show 127 Hours? Well, that will prove a good example of why you always tell someone where you are going and when you should be expected back in the event there is an emergency.
We know, we know, there's a lot of other items to cover, but this will be a great start. Oh, did we mention to bring plenty of water?
What would you add to this list?